Weather Data for Your Location
OnPoint Weather provides a continuum of Past (historical), Present and Forecast weather data from the year 2000, to present and with a forward forecast view of up to 42 days, in hourly and daily format for any location. This includes Lat/Lon or geographically bounded areas such as ZIP or Postal Code, Metropolitan Statistical Area (“MSA”), Designated Market Area (“DMA”), census block, parish, county, and state on any landmass in the world and up to 200 miles offshore, from previous to present time and with a forward forecast view.
Weather Source is the only data provider offering weather data and information that is truly hyper-local and relevant for your location of interest.
Unleash the Power of
Hyper-Local Weather Data
Most weather data providers only use airport reporting station data which collect weather data by instrument or actual observation and use interpolation methods to extend the airport reporting station data to your location of interest. There are numerous issues with the data from these airport reporting stations with one of the main being the location of the airport reporting station is simply too far away from your location to provide accurate hyper-local weather data.
Weather Source approaches its weather in a vastly different way. Our data is not tied to any one input but we actually start with your location of interest which can be a Latitude or Longitudinal point or a geographically bounded area such as ZIP or postal code, DMA (designated market area) or MSA (metropolitan statistical area), and we essentially build a virtual weather station at that point by assembling up to 15 different inputs including weather observation stations, satellite, radar, local sensors and a lot of mathematics, statistics and models to produce truly hyper-local weather data and information.
- Up to 25% of data from airport reporting stations has errors or gaps.
- Much of the data from airport reporting stations requires a meteorological background or significant experience working with weather sensor data to prep the data for analytics and modeling.
- Most times these airport reporting stations are located hundreds of miles from your point of interest to be meaningful.
- Many times the airport reporting stations are located directly adjacent to an urban center or water which can have a direct impact on reported weather (e.g., Boston Logan Airport reporting station is at zero sea level; offshore ocean breeze; and located next to an urban heat sink which makes the weather markedly different at locations less than 1 mile from the Boston Logan station).
In addition, many weather data providers then use simple interpolation and various algorithms to extend the airport reporting station to your location of interest and then call the data hyper-local. There are also issues with simple interpolations.
- The algorithms do not take into account topography or geography which greatly impact weather.
- There are many weather events such as hail or micro-bursts that are only reported when observed.
Gain A Competitive Edge
With OnPoint Weather
Weather Source approaches weather data in a much different way. We actually start with your location of interest which can be a Lat/Lon or geographically bounded areas such as ZIP or Postal Code, DMA (designated market area), MSA (metropolitan statistical area), census track, county or state and then blend in up to 15 different inputs including airport reporting or other observation stations, satellite (including TRMM), radar and a lot of statistics & mathematics to essentially build a “virtual” weather station at your point of interest.
- Weather Source is not restricted to any one input device and relies on a variety of inputs to create its hyper-local OnPoint Weather
- Weather observation stations
- Satellite (including TRMM and GOES 16)
- IoT sensors
- Other relevant data such as cell tower microwave transmissions.
- Weather model output
- Weather analyses
The processing is then engineered to distill the various inputs into an accurate, uniform and consistent single source of truth.
To find out more about how OnPoint Weather can help your business contact us today!